Sunday, March 30, 2014

treehouse

today i was thinking about treehouses.

i was thinking about how i have always wanted a treehouse. i wanted some place i could go that wasn't all the way outside but wasn't inside either. i wanted a place to play with my friends. i wanted a place where i could be removed. i wanted a place where i could go read and read aloud. i wanted a place where i could talk to myself and no one would hear me or judge me. i wanted a place i could be alone. i wanted a place to my own.

i was thinking about the first treehouse i've ever been in. it was just a ladder and a plank that was nailed to a branch.

i was thinking about the treehouse my friends were building when we were in 3rd grade. it was just a little tree with a whole bunch of wood jumbled together on a branch. and i was confused because they were too young to build a treehouse.

i was thinking about our date and the treehouse you built and let me inside. and i was thinking about how i just wanted to stay in there all night with you. but then again not because there were birds inside and i was scared.

i was thinking about the high school musical treehouse and how Gabriella was the 2nd girl that has ever been up there with Troy, the 1st being his mom.

i was thinking about the treehouse i was going to make with my next door neighbors last summer. it was going to be above the fence and have a ladder on both sides. we were going to work on it everyday. but summer got crazy and there were vacations and we got lazy. but i still have a pinterest board of treehouse ideas.

i was thinking about the treehouse my dad promised to help me build. he told me that we have to wait until the oak tree got strong enough it could handle all the weight and holes we would be putting into it. i asked him every year if the tree was strong enough. the answer was always no even though the tree had been growing for more than 20 years. i remember coming home one day from school and seeing that the big oak tree in the backyard had been cut down.

i guess my dad forgot his promise.

dad. i'd still really like for you to help me build a treehouse.

4 comments:

  1. Neither did I. This is very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted a treehouse too. But that never happened. I didn't except it to end that way either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the line about high school musical just sings to me. and I love this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete